Elevate Your Dinner with Chef John’s Creamed Spinach Recipe – Only a Few Ingredients, Ready in Minutes!
Looking for a fast and easy way to serve up some greens? Try Chef John’s Creamed Spinach Recipe! This quick and simple dish combines tender, sautéed spinach with a velvety, Parmesan-laced cream sauce, resulting in a perfect side dish that complements any entree. Using only a few basic ingredients and taking just minutes to make, this Creamed Spinach recipe is a game-changer for busy weeknights or last-minute dinner parties. Impress your guests or surprise your family with a flavor-packed, comforting side dish that will have everyone reaching for seconds!
How to Make Fast and Easy Creamed Spinach by Chef John
- 2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 2 Tbsp All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- Salt, as per taste
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, as per taste
- 1/8 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 16 oz Thinly Sliced Mushrooms
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 10 Oz Spinach, cleaned and dried, tough stems removed
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese, grated (optional)
Number of Servings
- 4 Servings
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add all-purpose flour and whisk until the mixture turns light brown.
- Pour in milk while stirring continuously to avoid lumps.
- Whisk in heavy cream, salt, freshly ground black pepper, and nutmeg.
- Keep stirring until the mixture starts to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Add thinly sliced mushrooms and minced garlic to the pan and cook for another 5 minutes until the mushrooms are browned and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the cleaned and dried spinach to the pan in batches, stirring until wilted and tender.
- Add the grated Parmesan cheese (if using) and stir until melted and well combined.
- Serve hot as a side dish with any main course, and enjoy!
How many calories are in Fast and Easy Creamed Spinach by Chef John?
Nutritional Information (per serving)
- Calories: 180
- Total Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
- Sodium: 200mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 9g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Total Sugars: 4g
- Added Sugars: 0g
- Protein: 7g
Chef Tips: Professional Advice for making Fast and Easy Creamed Spinach by Chef John
Don’t Overcook Spinach
Spinach cooks quickly, so be careful not to overcook it. Wilt it until it’s tender, then remove it from heat. Overcooking spinach can result in flavorless, mushy spinach.
Mushroom Slicing Tip
When slicing mushrooms, make sure they are thinly sliced evenly. This will ensure they cook evenly and achieve a delectable browning effect.
Prep Before Cooking
Preparation is key to successfully making this dish. Make sure to have all your ingredients measured and prepped before starting to cook.
Adjust the Consistency
Adjust the consistency of the creamed spinach to your liking. If it’s too thick, add a splash of milk or cream, and if it’s too thin, simmer it until it reaches the desired thickness.
Customize the recipe to your preferences by adding additional ingredients like crispy bacon, diced shallots, or sliced onions.
This creamed spinach dish pairs well with many mains like steak, roasted chicken, or grilled fish. Consider adding a sprinkle of lemon juice or red pepper flakes for some extra zing.”